Monday, October 4, 2010

The Shit Sandwich

I like analogies that neatly sum up life's dilemmas and if they involve swearing, all the better. One that I seem to be using a lot lately is the analogy of the shit sandwich. It goes something like this:

"Sooner or later, you're going to be forced to eat a shit sandwich. When this happens, some people will whinge about it, some people will just make the best of it and some people will pretend it tastes delicious."

I derive a great deal of satisfaction from using this analogy when accused of being a little too "constructive" about things. Yes, I may have a bit of a tendency whinge about things when I should just swallow a great draught of stoicism and get over it. However, if I'm going to overshoot the mark, I'd rather be a bit of a whinger sometimes than one of those overly optimistic people who are so busy trying to channel the power of positive energy that they neglect to notice they're getting screwed.

Cynical, much?

No comments:

Post a Comment