Thursday, November 18, 2010

My life as an Industry

My parents keep bothering me about getting married and having baby

Persoanlly, I'm not too fussed about the whole business but I do understand their perspective. They have three children, ranging in age from their mid-twenties to their late-thrities. All have been in stable live-in relationships with their respective partners for at least three years. None are making any signs of "getting on with it".

As the youngest of these three I feel like I should be given the greatest leeway, but I think they've reached the point where they want grandchildren to tell their friends about and being deprived on them makes them feel a bit maligned. I can empathise with that, too, because I want to get a kitten and my boyfriend keeps telling me I have to wait until we can committ to being in the country for at least 10 years. Boo.

In any case, I now have a new argument for when they ask when I'm getting married - I'm waiting for an economic downturn.

My theory is that if I wait for a downturn, my marriage could turn me into my country's saviour. The tourist interest generated by the wedding will invariably bring a flood of vistitors, thus propping up the economy. In addition, my countrymen will be so delighted that it will buoy the public mood and probably generate a confidence-led economic recovery.

At least, that seems to be how it works in the UK.

I don't mind the British monarchy - I find it bafflingly peculiar, but I think it says more about the empire's subjects than it's rulers. Perhaps, however, this example of inhereted privelege doesn't offend people because it doesn't need to; it's anachronistic, certainly, but appears relatively benign.

However, I can't help but feel that the monarchy is more than just benign; it's a national industry. Why give up a living tourist attraction that commands no real power but brings in so many tourists each year? Would would become of the souvenir salesmen if we did that?

No comments:

Post a Comment