Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A New Theory on Gym Sessions

I have a new attitude to the gym. My newfound pragmatism is a sure indication that I'm finally getting my mojo back. It's an evolutionary development.

The Old System
Six months ago (at the peak of summer), I had little tolerance for gym workouts. I would haul ass in a few times a week, but my heart wasn't in it. Under these circumstances, the only way to keep myself going was to make it less about work and more about cute matching outfits.



This does help somewhat with getting out the door. Unfortunately, it means that when you catch sight of yourself in the mirror you think "I don't look so bad". Basically, it encourages laziness.


The New System
The New System, which has been made possible by renewed levels of enthusiasm, involves wearing the tightest, most unflattering thing available. I don't give a crap if the other women think I'm fat or there are old men checking out my bum. Gym time is my time - they can deal with thie own issues:





See, when you're in lycra and see yourself in a mirror at the gym, you're reminded why you're there. "Should I do an extra ten minutes on the bike?" Mirror check. "Yep, I guess so". "Should I run through another set of those squats?" Mirror. "Yes, indeed."

This system is awesome. Of couse, it's predicated on a healthy degree of body-loathing and accordingly, it may only work if you're a woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment